Like you, I love a slice of extra cheesy pizza but totally loathe the subsequent caloric catastrophe. While cardiologists disapprove its high content of artery-clogging saturated fat, fitness enthusiasts condemn those crusts full of carbs. I know it’s hard to give up this junk food favorite but don’t fret, I’m here to dish out my healthier, pretty much carb-free pizza recipe that’s going to tickle your taste buds but not your belly.
If you’re not a fan of eggplant (but why?!), my brother’s not either but he went for a second slice at dinner last night. Remember, it’s important to choose a reduced-fat (part-skim) Mozzarella cheese to take advantage of its nutritional benefits and taste while minimizing the unhealthy extras. Because unlike eggplants, this soft white cheese is packed with kcals & fats. So keep those greasy personal pans for occasional well-deserved cheat days and try this delicious goodness instead.
Recipe type: Light lunch, Snack, Gluten-free, Egg-free, Low-carb
- 4 slices large eggplant (sliced diagonally approx. 1cm thick each)
- 4 tbsp reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 8 slices of tomato (with skin, deseeded)
- a handful of Baby spinach
- Sea salt (for sprinkling)
- Olive oil (as needed)
- Dried chilli flakes (for sprinkling)
- Dried oregano (for sprinkling)
- Sprinkle sea salt sparingly on eggplant slices and place in a colander for 30-45 minutes to let them ‘sweat’ out the juice, before patting them dry with a kitchen napkin. This removes the bitter taste of the eggplant before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Coat both sides of the eggplant evenly with olive oil and place them on a baking tray lined with foil. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes (or till cooked and lightly browned).
- Remove the baking tray (leaving the oven on). Place a few leaves of baby spinach followed by 2 slices of tomatoes on each eggplant. Top that with 1 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese per eggplant then sprinkle with chilli flakes and dried oregano.
- Bake in oven for another 10-12 minutes (or until the cheese is fully melted and lightly browned).
Personalise with your toppings of choice: mushrooms, onions, diced pineapple, bell peppers, etc. (adjust cooking time accordingly). If you can, go organic.